Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Poetry by Douglas Florian

My kids and I stumbled upon a treasure--the poetry of Douglas Florian.  I confess I am not much of a poet enthusiast, and usually I don't understand much of it.  But children's poetry is another story--I remember spending hours devouring Shel Silverstein.  So I was delighted to discover Douglas Florian and his whimsical, playful style.  My kids memorized this one, they got such a kick out of it!  It's from Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs:


It's wise to stay clear
Of the dangerous cobra
All months of the year,
Including Octobra.


My personal favorite is "The Praying Mantis" from Insectlopedia:


Upon a twig
I sit and pray
For something big
To wend my way:
A caterpillar,
Moth,
Or bee--
I swallow them
Religiously.
His humorous artwork adds to each poem, and my kids like the fact that he paints with watercolor on paper bags.  Florian says this of his own work: "My drawings are abstract regressionist. They are old but behave like little children."  Apparently he has published several children's poetry books--can't wait to get my hands on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails