Monday, April 25, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I have read Jane Eyre probably more than any book aside from the Book of Mormon and the New Testament. I love it so much, I worry that I won't do it justice!  It is definitely one of my top five all-time favorites.  It has been made into I don't know how many films, and even a Broadway play with a beautiful soundtrack.
I'm sure almost everyone is familiar with the story of Jane Eyre--plain, ordinary young lady becomes a governess and falls in love with her gruff employer . . . the plot seems fairly boring, but I LOVE IT!  And I know I'm not alone.  What exactly makes it so universally appealing?  


Well, here's what I love about Jane Eyre:
1. Jane herself tells the story, and she addresses you directly as "dear reader" several times, which pulls you in and makes you sympathize with her all the more.  You feel like you're a friend she's confiding in.
2. The love story is perhaps the most beautiful ever written--especially because it's between two such unlikely characters.  Neither is very alluring, per se, but their romance manifests a "marriage of true minds," as Shakespeare would say.
3. Mr. Rochester--he is just the perfect hero!  Actually not perfect--he has his flaws, but they make him that much more likeable.
4. It is just so well-written!  The dialogue is anything but dry or forced, and the narration flows so beautifully!
5.  Each character you become closely acquainted with is deep and passionate.
6. Perhaps what I like the most is that Jane isn't perfect.  She has a bit of a temper and is also tempted--but she has a firm conviction in what she knows is right.


There is so much food for discussion!  Jane's moral courage; Mr. Rochester's desire to begin a new life, yet falling into the same old habits; Jane's ability to rise above her surroundings and make the most of things--they just don't make books this cut and dried anymore!


Jane Eyre was even worthy of mention on this last General Conference--I was thrilled to hear Sister Ann M. Dibb say the following:  


One of my favorite books is the British classic Jane Eyre, (Hooray--we can be friends!) written by Charlotte Brontë and published in 1847. The main character, Jane Eyre, is a penniless, teenage orphan who exemplifies what it means to be true. In this fictional account, a man, Mr. Rochester, loves Miss Eyre but is unable to marry her. Instead, he begs Miss Eyre to live with him without the benefit of marriage. Miss Eyre loves Mr. Rochester as well, and for a moment she is tempted, asking herself, “Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?”


Quickly Jane’s conscience answers: “I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God. … Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this. … If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth—so I have always believed. … Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot.”
In a desperate moment of temptation, Jane Eyre was true to her beliefs, she trusted in the law given by God, and she planted her foot in resistance to temptation.
Being true to our beliefs—even when doing so isn’t popular, easy, or fun—keeps us safely on the path that leads to eternal life with our Heavenly Father. ... Being true also allows us to have a positive effect on the lives of others. 
And that, I think, is what I like the most about Jane Eyre--the way her righteous choices influence the lives of others.
Now, I am quite partial to the movie versions of this wonderful classic, my favorites being the one starring Timothy Dalton
and the 2006 version starring Toby Stephens & Ruth Wilson.  I never get tired of watching this one--it is so well-done!
And, if you're as big a fan as I am, you will probably be eager to see the newly released 2011 version!  It looks good--a little dark and probably condensed to fit the typical 2-hour Hollywood length, but you really can't go too far wrong with Jane Eyre, can you?  
(Also, J.E. fans will enjoy this interesting comparison between the many movie-version Mr. Rochester's.)

2 comments:

  1. I remember also liking the 1996 version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116684/) with William Hurt and Charlotte Gainsbourg. I liked the scene when he tells her he loves her- I just think she does such a good job- I remember crying. :) I love your review! You always offer such well written worthwhile insight! :) I wish I was reading these books right along with you- we need a sister book club. :) I love Lyd's artistic depictions on Alice and Wonderland too- I meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent your blog site out to all of my students. I hope you have many new followers. Several students said that they enjoyed reading it. I wish I knew how to get to your other reviews from here. If I click on the book, it doesn't work. Hmmmmm. I love you, Jess!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails