Friday, May 27, 2011

Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis


My good friend Jera brought this book over--somehow she ended up with two copies.  I can't think of the last time (if ever) I have read a whole book about our Founding Fathers, although I always have the best of intentions--I have a few of them on my "to-read" list on Goodreads . . . Since this one wasn't too thick (which is what usually scares me away from historical books or biographies), I decided to give it a try.  So glad I did--this one really got me thinking about our founding fathers and their contributions to the life we live today, as well as how far we have strayed as a nation from some of their original ideals.

Taking sort of a back-door approach, Ellis looks at some less-written-about episodes or aspects in the lives of Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, Madison, Hamilton, and Burr (i.e. unlikely friendships, Washington's farewell address, the duel between Hamilton & Burr) and uses them to paint a picture of what things must have really been like for these amazing men.  He does make a lot of assumptions, which troubled me at times, but he is a beautiful narrator; never once did I feel bored with it.  There were several moments during my reading when I was disenchanted with these great men, but just as I thought Ellis was going to knock them off my personal pedestal, he came full circle and restored my faith in their inspiration.  Well, maybe not Aaron Burr so much . . .

So yes, I would highly recommend it as a springboard to heftier historical or political reading. It has inspired me to attack John Adams by David McCullough.  Do you think I can handle it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh---John Adams. I have been meaning to read it forever, but just like you, get too intimidated by those long dry-looking historically significant books. But maybe I will get up the courage too. I just read a book called "the mothers of the presidents" which was really good (not too long, and quite interesting and readable) and then I read Donald rumsfeld's memoirs ("Known and Unknown") which was FASCINATING. I really liked it. So now I am feeling like maybe I can tackle something by mccollough. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I just say that the movie was spectacular, and a slacker's way of connecting to you brilliant people.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails