Monday, April 11, 2011

Clarice Bean, the Utterly Complete Collection by Lauren Child

Lydia:  I thought this was a good book. It was about a little girl who wanted to be a mystery solver like the girl in her book--until she solves a mystery of her own. I really liked it because it was written by the same person who wrote Charlie & Lola. I also like the pictures. There are lots of them.  I love the way she describes things.

Jessica:  Lydia talked me into reading these books, and it didn't take much effort, since our entire family is in love with Lauren Child's Charlie & Lola series.  They were so entertaining!


Clarice Bean is a pre-teen girl growing up in England who deals with some very normal problems--a mean teacher, a pesky younger brother, and homework she doesn't want to do.  The whole series reminded me of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, which I loved when I was little.  These are for a slightly more mature audience than those, strictly for comprehension reasons.  Any pre-teens would really enjoy them.  They are clean, clever, and perfectly darling!  I found myself wanting to talk like Clarice, who is the author of these "diaries."  Listen to how delightful she is--for example, in describing the neighborhood organic grocery store:


It's all about selling things that haven't been sprayed with chemically things.
I am not sure what that word organic exactly stands for really.  Who does know?  They should call it "with bugs" or something so people know what they are in for.  You might find a caterpillar in your broccoli but that's the point.
Mom says, "There's nothing wrong with eating a caterpillar."
I say, "There is if you are vegetarian."


On the irritating boy who sits behind her in class:
And I can hear Robert Granger breathing.  That's what he does.  He sits behind me and breathes.  It drives me utterly crazy.
And I turn around and go, "Stop breathing, will you!"
And he says, "Clarice Bean, of course I cannot stop breathing because then I would be dead and how would you like that?"
I decide not to answer his question because Mom has taught me if you can't think of anything nice to say, then sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.  You see, I am trying really hard to keep it zipped in class.


Describing tofu:
. . . .[It] looks a bit like a very palish cheese but tastes of nothing.


The diary-like feel ("epistolary" form--am I not so smart?) keeps you reading just a bit more to see what Clarice will talk about next.  I don't know what to call it, but I love that she uses different font sizes and styles to emphasize words (reminds me of my wonderful sis-in-law, Chelsea, who does the same on her blog).  It's such a cute way of writing! 


Utterly Me, Clarice Bean is cute as can be, Clarice Bean Spells Trouble was my very favorite and had the best story line--very laughable throughout, and Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now was still great, although it dealt with more serious issues of divorce and moving, etc.  They are such quick reads--I think I read each one in a day.  I wish there were more of them!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to read the Clarice Bean books. They sound adorable! Lydia, I'm proud of you following in your mother's footsteps. Reading good books builds character IF you put the principles into practice (which I know you do). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a fun series! I'm so excited to read books like this with Amberlee.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails