Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Now, if you've seen the movie, Ella Enchanted, don't despair; the book is ten times better.  I mean, don't get me wrong--I liked the movie okay, and I think Hugh Dancy is a great actor, but they changed a lot of things and made it somehow modern in ways it wasn't supposed to be.  So . . .  all that aside, back to the book.
There have been countless retold fairy tales about Cinderella, but I love the twist on this one--that Ella has to obey any order she is given.  You'll find all the elements of the original story (i.e. the glass slippers, the ball, pumpkin carriage, and wicked stepsisters) along with a spunky, spirited heroine who has a mind of her own.  This one is appropriate for about 4th grade and up--clean and cute, and hey--a Newberry Honor book!

3 comments:

  1. Can I borrow your copy of "Our hearts were young and gay" next time you come up here? Or maybe I should just buy it, since you love it so much? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (because I can't find it at any of our libraries, I meant to say)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please--I would love to lend it to you. I have loved everything you have ever lent me, so I'd like to return the favor! :) I will have to visit you soon . . .

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails