Wednesday, March 31, 2010

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

From the very first page of this book, I was gripped by the beautiful Welsh voice of the narrator--you find yourself thinking with a lilt.  The whole book just felt green.  I don't mean eco-friendly green--just lush and beautiful, like the fields of England I miss so much.


The narrator, Huw Morgan (never quite sure how to pronounce that . . . Hugh? How? . . .), reflects on his life, beginning with his childhood.  Even though they go through trial after trial, their simple faith and strength are inspiring.   I almost felt it could be the tale of my own ancestors.
***Disclaimer: I hate how some of the best books have to have these!  In the "coming-of-age" portion of Huw's life, he gets way too involved with a young lady.  I skipped several paragraphs, so I honestly don't know exactly how graphic it was, but what I read was too much for me.  The only dog poop in the cinnamon roll, as my mother would say . . . still, I think the rest of the book is well worth reading if you are forewarned, and now you have been.

1 comment:

  1. You always find a way to "eat around it" and find something good. :) I love your reviews and I love your sense of humor sis!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails