Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Book Review of Watership Down by Richard Adams


If we were to tell you that this book is about a bunch of rabbits trying to find a new home, would you be very interested?  Probably not.  Yes, it is about a bunch (or to be technically correct, a warren, nest, colony, bevy, bury, drove, or trace) of rabbits; however, it is much more than that.  Driven out of their home by humans, Hazel, Fiver, and several other rabbits embark on a journey to find a new warren.  It is not so much like Charlotte's Web as it is like The Lord of the Rings--it is very interesting and exciting.  The rabbits have such distinct personalities, and their adventures are quite realistic.  While the end does get a little bit slow for a minute, don't give up--it picks up, and it's worth your time.  Both Lydia and Jessica highly recommend it--probably best for those age 10 & up.

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never read this? A sad admission (and a sad omission), I know! I think I started it once when I was young, got bored quickly, and haven't given it a chance since. Redwall is the other series that happened with. So--I will try again, if you say it's good. Honestly, it's about bunnies, and that should be enough for any republic, even, a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished and really enjoyed! It did seem to go on forever, and I haven't stopped dreaming about bunnies. (Reading around Easter only made maters worse. :) I love Hazel and Fifel. I love the made up words- silfley and such. (I don't know the spelling- you can tell I listened- loved the British reader. :) And loved the beginning clips from other books that foreshadowed events. Also loved the little rabbit tales within tale. Truly, I'll never look at Rabbits the same way again. I'm convinced now that there is a lot more going on in their little bunny brains than I previously assumed.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails