Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I'm on a classics kick, as you'll begin to notice.  My amazing mother is teaching English for an England study-abroad program this spring, and has enlisted my voracious reading appetite in tackling her long list of required books.  It's a fun excuse to read my head off!

I started with The Picture of Dorian Gray because I bought a copy at the grocery store for $1--and because it was fairly short.  Years ago I saw the black & white version, but the book is much, much better.

This is Oscar Wilde's sole novel--I didn't realize it, but his other writings were only plays or essays.  And you can tell--his dialogue reads very much like a play, the characters playing verbal tennis as they toss their comments back and forth.  These are followed by long (some of them quite long) descriptions.  But still, it is a book that keeps you reading, and Wilde is quite good at invoking reflection.

His play The Importance of Being Earnest is one of my favorites.  One of the main characters in the novel (Lord Henry Wotton) reminded me quite a bit of Algernon Moncrieff--both characters say things they don't mean--things to shock "society."  Often then say the opposite of what is reasonable, but the great difference is that Algy says them in jest, while Lord Wotton says them specifically to tempt Dorian Gray into wrongdoing.  While Wilde never comes straight out with a moral--in fact, at times he seems to be agreeing with the villains--the book teaches a definite lesson.  I think it would be a great book for teens to read with parents and discuss (have I pushed that enough?).

2 comments:

  1. Wait, your mom is going to England? And teaching English? How can I go??! Are you going to go visit? Can I come?? Just thinking about it makes me MISS it. And you, Pip, ol' chap.

    WV: Cobjely. Sounds like something you could eat in England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let Marilyn know that I'm reserving a spot for nursing mothers on the tour-- the back seats of the coach. Next year!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails