Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester

This was an employee pick at Barnes & Noble (my favorite date night destination!) a few months ago, and it caught my eye.  When I found it sitting on the "New Arrivals" shelf at the library (it's not that new, but I'm not complaining), I snatched it up, eager to squeeze it in between two other books I was reading.

For the first half the book I read with quite a critical eye.  The cover of the book has a comment from Twilight's Stephanie Meyers: "It's the oddest/sweetest mix of Little House on the Prairie and X-Men . . ." This totally threw me--there was little or no Little House on the Prairie involved.  But then halfway through the book it started to really grab me.  What a sweet story!  It was exciting, interesting, clean (okay, it had one bad word), and it even had a good moral.  Perhaps what I liked most about it was its potential for discussion between parents and their kids who read it--about how the story symbolizes the choices we make and the tools used by the adversary (especially distraction!).

So while Piper McCloud, the main character, has a bit of a forced accent and seems a bit Pollyanna-ish--hey, what's wrong with that, right? :)

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite date nights too! Sounds like a really cute book- I'll have to find it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails