Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

"All books are judged by their covers until they are read."
Such is the claim of Agatha Swanburn, founder of the Swanburn Academy for Poor Bright Females. The prize student from this school, Miss Penelope Lumley, is the governess and heroine of the story, and often refers to such "pithy kernels of truth," another being, "If it were easy to resist, it would not be called chocolate cake."

I tend to judge books by their covers. Even more so, I judge them by their "opening act"--the first page usually has to grab my attention and delight me, and this book was a winner on both counts. The cover has a macabre look to it, and the story was delightful. A young governess is sent to instruct three "incorrigible" children (which incidentally becomes their last name) on how to behave--but unfortunately they appear to have been raised by wolves, making her task difficult and hilarious. It was a sort of Jane Eyre for kids--minus Mr. Rochester and the romance--written with a voice not unlike a modern Jane Austen:

"As you may have already had cause to discover, a statement can be both completely true and completely misleading at the same time. This is called 'selective truth telling,' and it is frequently used in political campaigns, toy advertisements, and other forms of propaganda." (p. 166)

"If you have ever opened a can of worms, boxed yourself into a corner, ended up in hot water, or found yourself in a pretty pickle, you already know that life is rarely (if ever) just a bowl of cherries. It is far more likely to be a bowl of problems, worries, and difficulties. This is normal and you should not be alarmed." (p. 119)

Clean, fun, witty (and even mildly instructive about literature and poetry), this book makes a good read for young adults and adults alike. It has a cliffhanger ending, which luckily means there are more to come!

1 comment:

  1. I'm always curious about how you read these books. Do you read it with a British Accent in your head? I picture that you do- I usually listen to them on tape so I get them in their proper form, but with certain books, it would seem like a crime not to. This strikes me as the type. :) Sounds, or dare I say "LOOKS" like a good one, I have to get my hands on a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails