Friday, February 12, 2010

No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

If you haven't yet discovered this series, it's time you did. My wonderful Grandma Alma, who served two LDS missions to Africa, got me hooked on these books. Written (by a man, I might add!) from the perspective of Precious Ramotswe, a self-appointed female detective, they are set in Botswana, Africa.

What I love most about this series is the taste it gives you of every day life in Africa. From the beautiful style of speaking to the pumpkin soup and bush tea, each page contains little pearls of wisdom. The people are courteous (or at least expected to be so), life is slower, and there is a respect for humanity and nature that emanates from the pages. But it is far from boring! Each book has a key mystery to solve and several minor ones along the way, but you find yourself enjoying the culture and wisdom every bit as much as the mystery.

*Disclaimer: The very first book (and only the first--there are 10 all together) has a chunk in the middle that I remember being inappropriate--the only thing I've objected to in the whole series.


Here are all the books in the series (so far):

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Tears of the Giraffe
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
The Full Cupboard of Life
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
Blue Shoes and Happiness
The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
The Miracle at Speedy Motors
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built
The Double Comfort Safari

How can you not love books with names like that?

2 comments:

  1. He should have left it out. I haven't read any of the other books because of it- but now I can! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Chels- I hit that part and was troubled for weeks and weeks. I guess it is real life and culture, but I couldn't finish the book, so it's good to know there there is hope and more of the simple good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails