Friday, February 12, 2010

The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

This is a very fun, entertaining, clean book. Sometimes it's nice to have a book like that--a "'tweener" to read in between heftier books. I found it very refreshing and hard to put down. It's an epistolary novel (aren't you proud of me for knowing that word?), which means it's written in letter form. Usually I'm not too keen on that type of book (Anne of Windy Poplars was the hardest of the Anne of Green Gables series for me to get through), but this one doesn't drag on like some.

Set in a little-known chunk of World War II history--the German occupation of Guernsey Island, off the coast of France--it contains a bit of mystery and romance--just enough to keep you turning pages. There is so much about World War II that is difficult to swallow, but this book focused on making the most of a difficult time, and perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much. After all, isn't that what we are all aiming for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think--or any good books you have enjoyed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails